Experience, Accessibility And Proven Results

Photo Of Daniel George Dannenbaum

What are some common issues associated with moving and child support?

On Behalf of | Sep 8, 2021 | Divorce |

Once you are in the child support system, whether you pay or receive, you must work with the Division of Child Support Enforcement. The DCSE has some important rules when it comes to moving or changing your address.

The Virginia Department of Social Services explains it is your responsibility to make sure you understand what you must report and when you must report to the DCSE concerning your address status.

Report all moves

You must report any move to DCSE as soon as possible. This applies whether you pay or receive child support. The DCSE needs to have an accurate address for you to allow for proper communications. If you fail to provide your updated address, it could cause delays in your case. You must provide the DCSE a written notice of your new address.

Understand out-of-state issues

If you and the other parent do not live in the same state, you will want to work with the DCSE agency in the state in which you live. However, if the other parent files in his or her state, then you will need to deal with that state on all issues. All state agencies will coordinate efforts.

The same situation is true if the other parent lives in another country. The US works with most other countries on such issues.

If you have a case in a different state and are moving to Virginia, you can change your case to Virginia DCSE. You will need to work with your current state’s DCSE to change your address and transfer your case.

If you ever are unsure of what you should report, you can also contact your caseworker at DCSE to get information.


FindLaw Network