Experience, Accessibility And Proven Results

Photo Of Daniel George Dannenbaum

How can I reduce stress during my divorce?

On Behalf of | Nov 10, 2020 | Divorce |

A stress-free divorce might seem impossible, especially when your marriage had a tumultuous and rocky end. However, it is in your best interest and the best interest of your former spouse to look for the most amicable resolution. This is especially true when you share children. 

Forbes explains a few steps you can take to reduce stress and conflict while working out serious issues regarding property division, custody, and child support. While you might still be at odds with your ex, at least the process will be more peaceful. 

Decide whether divorce is the best option

Couples should undergo counseling heading into divorce. While it may not solve issues, it could provide some clarity and peace of mind. If you decide splitting is best, consider mediation. This process involves a neutral third party guiding negotiations regarding the major issues of your divorce. When both parties are on the same page and willing to work together, mediation is often best. You may also consider collaborative divorce, which involves the creation of a Participation Agreement, in which all parties agree to avoid litigation. 

Put your kids first

In some situations, divorce is the best option. In this case, you can keep the peace by coming to a firm understanding about a shared goal or desire. If you have children, the shared goal should be to do what is best for them. While this might require you to give up certain fights or be more flexible, it offers more benefits in the long run. 

Maintain respectful interactions

When situations leading up to your split were acrimonious, you might find it hard to treat your spouse with respect and dignity. There are plenty of good reasons to do so, primarily because it will spare you from unneeded stress. Your behavior in court may also affect the outcome, as if the judge finds you to be combative you could lose key decisions regarding custody and/or visitation. 


FindLaw Network