Dannenbaum Law Firm, PLLC

Can You Reduce Child Support If You Were Fired From Your Job?

If you are fired from your job, you can file a motion with the court asking to reduce your child support payments. Whether the court will reduce your child support depends, in part, on the reason why you were fired. If you were fired for cause or misconduct at your job, then the court may not reduce your child support. I will summarize a recent Virginia case where the court did not reduce the child support amount for a father who was fired from his job through his own negligence.

In Parham v. Parham, Virginia's Court of Appeals affirmed a trial court ruling that the father was voluntarily underemployed. The father worked as a general manager of a car dealership. He earned $344,786 per year. The owner of the dealership told the father that he was not performing his job. After the father did not improve his performance, he was fired. The father got a job at another car dealership earning $162,000 per year. Because his salary was less, he requested a reduction in child support. The court held that he was fired from his old job because of his misconduct and fault. The court denied the father's request to reduce child support.

If you are fired for cause, you cannot use your firing as a reason to reduce your child support obligation. The court will impute income to you at the same income level you were earning before your job dismissal. You will continue to pay child support using the amount of income you earned when you were employed at the prior job.

What's the reasoning? It prevents payors from intentionally getting fired in order to reduce support payments.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Get Started

Contact Attorney Daniel Dannenbaum Today

Call 703-661-9151 or use our contact form to arrange a free consultation with an experienced family law attorney.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy