Experience, Accessibility And Proven Results

Photo Of Daniel George Dannenbaum

Unpaid child support and passport denial

On Behalf of | Mar 30, 2022 | Divorce |

Whether you owe back child support right now or you have concerns about the consequences of falling behind and you are currently in the middle of a divorce, it is essential to understand the different ways in which failing to pay child support can affect your life. For example, you should realize that if unpaid child support reaches a certain amount, you could lose your passport privileges.

If you have to travel for work or have planned an overseas vacation for a long time, losing your passport could shatter your plans and make life more complicated.

When does back child support affect your passport?

The Office of Child Support Enforcement states that if you owe more than $2,500 in unpaid child support, the government will deny your passport application. In addition, if you currently have a valid passport, the government will revoke your passport if you hand it over for service and you have at least $2,500 in back child support. For example, if you need more pages in your passport or you have to change your name, and you give it to an embassy representative or passport agent, they will revoke it.

Can you pay back support to restore passport privileges?

In order to have your name removed from the Passport Denial Program, you will have to make arrangements with the agency in your state. Some states allow parents to make partial payments and set up payment plans, while others require full payment before restoring a parent’s passport privileges. Regardless, it is essential to address back child support promptly, especially since this can impact other facets of your life as well.


FindLaw Network