Experience, Accessibility And Proven Results

Photo Of Daniel George Dannenbaum

Ways divorced parents can create constancy for children

On Behalf of | Sep 14, 2017 | Divorce |

One constant struggle for children of divorced parents in Virginia and around the country is learning to find normalcy in splitting time between two different households. The rules at one parent’s home often differ from the rules at the other’s, and this inconsistent style of parenting can cause upset in the adjustment ability of the children. While no one set of ideas will work for every family, there are steps to take in order to minimize any negative effects of parenting from different households.

Most family courts offer comprehensive parenting classes following divorce, and they can be very effective in helping parents learn to compromise and work together for the common good of the children. The instructors present an unbiased opinion that can offer clarity to confusing situations, and they can provide solutions to help quickly settle any parenting disputes.

The best step to take is to sit down together from the beginning and make a game plan as to what will be expected from the children on a daily basis at each household. Having an agreed-upon idea of when homework should be completed each day and when bedtime should be will help to create consistency between parents. The children could even participate in the meeting and offer their own opinions if they are old enough.

In order to get what one parent wants, they must be willing to give in other areas. Parents should make a list of rules they each feel strongly about and another list of rules they are willing to compromise on. This will go far in helping find common ground without unnecessary conflict.

Once a marriage is over and dissolved, the primary objective should be moving forward with the children. In order to be sure decisions are made in the best interest of everyone involved, an experienced divorce attorney may be consulted to help solve issues before they get out of hand and the family must go to court.


FindLaw Network