Experience, Accessibility And Proven Results

Photo Of Daniel George Dannenbaum

Modifying Your Divorce Settlement When Circumstances Change

I am Daniel G. Dannenbaum, and as a skilled family law attorney with more than 25 years of experience, I can work on your behalf to attempt to modify the terms of your divorce if your circumstances or your ex-spouse’s circumstances have changed.

If you come to my law firm in Arlington, Virginia, for a consultation, I will review your divorce settlement, ask you why you or your ex-spouse believes a modification is necessary, and provide you with practical legal advice about your options.

When May Agreements Be Modified?

To modify your divorce agreement, you must prove that circumstances warrant a modification. If any one of the following is true since the divorce was finalized, a modification might be needed:

  • Does the parent with primary custody wish to move out of state with the child?
  • Has the noncustodial parent experienced a substantial change in income?
  • Does the alimony recipient still need alimony payments to support himself or herself?
  • Has the custodial parent’s lifestyle changed in a way that is not in the child’s best interests?

It is important to note that you cannot modify alimony if your original prenuptial agreement or divorce settlement says that the alimony is not modifiable. With the help of a family law lawyer, however, you can always attempt to modify child custody and child support.

Your Divorce Agreement Does Not Have To Be Final. Call A Lawyer For Help.

Contact Dannenbaum Law Firm, PLLC, any time of day or night, if your circumstances have changed and you are thinking about modifying your divorce agreement. Call 703-661-9151 or toll free at 800-615-8904 to schedule an appointment with an experienced post-divorce modifications attorney in Arlington. My office features accessible garage parking.