Experience, Accessibility And Proven Results

Photo Of Daniel George Dannenbaum

Actively Protecting Your Interests: Frequently Asked Questions About Divorce

If your marriage is no longer sustainable, divorce may be the only remaining option for you. The decision to file for divorce is not typically arrived at lightly, and you may find yourself facing pressing questions as you consider dissolving your marriage and moving forward with your life.

Fortunately, an experienced divorce attorney like me can help. At Dannenbaum Law Firm, PLLC, I work with divorcing individuals in Arlington to help preserve their best interests. What follows are some common questions I hear when consulting with prospective clients.

What do I need to do to file for a no-fault divorce?

While Virginia does allow for fault divorce, the no-fault option is more frequently pursued. Before you can file for a no-fault divorce, you and your spouse must live separately at least six months. If you have children, your separation must extend to one year.

How can I protect my business in a divorce?

In the absence of a prenuptial agreement, a business can be considered joint property during divorce proceedings. For you to retain ownership of your enterprise, you may need to sacrifice other assets in your divorce settlement. It is also helpful to pay yourself a healthy salary, as that can demonstrate that you are not excessively putting your assets into your company. A seasoned divorce attorney can better help you take additional measures to protect your business interests.

If my spouse and I cannot agree on custody, how will the court determine an arrangement?

A custody agreement can be a challenging aspect of a divorce settlement. Should you and your spouse be unable to come to a compromise, the decision will then go to the court. At that point, a judge will decide based on what is in the best interests of the child. The court will consider several factors, including the age of the child, his or her specific needs and the relationship with each parent. An attorney who is well-versed in family law can prove helpful in such matters.

Can you modify your divorce settlement if your financial situation changes?

Not everyone’s financial health is static. Situations can change, and if your income suddenly drops — or your ex-spouse’s rises — your alimony and child support may seem untenable. In such a case, you may wish to consider a post-divorce modification. With the aid of a skilled lawyer, you can seek to adjust your financial obligations as needed.

Do You Have Additional Questions? Call My Office Today.

If you have lingering questions about the divorce process, I am more than happy to answer them. Please call Dannenbaum Law Firm, PLLC, at 703-661-9151 or toll free at 800-615-8904 today to speak with me, Daniel G. Dannenbaum. You can also contact me via email to schedule an initial consultation.