Dannenbaum Law Firm, PLLC

Legal Custody Archives

Guardian AD Litem:

If you are involved in a custody dispute in court, a person called a guardian ad litem (GAL) may enter your case. The Court can appoint a GAL on its own. One or both parties may request the court to appoint a GAL. The court will tend to appoint a GAL in cases where there are special concerns relating to the parents and/or the children.

What should I Do If I Lose My Job or Am Fired From My Job? Can I Reduce My Child Support or My Spousal Support?

If you lose your job, the first thing you should do is to call your family law lawyer. Do not delay. Why? Because you may be able to file a motion with the court to reduce your support obligation. If you are successful in getting a court to reduce your support, your reduced support amount may be made retroactive to the date that you served the person receiving support with your motion. Therefore, you should file the motion as soon as possible so that you can have your reduced support payments made retroactive. Every day you wait to file the motion is one day more that you have to pay the current support amount.

Can You Reduce Child Support If You Were Fired From Your Job?

If you are fired from your job, you can file a motion with the court asking to reduce your child support payments. Whether the court will reduce your child support depends, in part, on the reason why you were fired. If you were fired for cause or misconduct at your job, then the court may not reduce your child support. I will summarize a recent Virginia case where the court did not reduce the child support amount for a father who was fired from his job through his own negligence.

Legal Custody - Different Types Of Legal Custody

I have discussed two types of legal custody. Recall that legal custody means which parent makes major decisions relating to the children. There is sole legal custody in which one parent makes major decisions relating to the children and the other parent has no input into the decision. Then, there is joint legal custody where both parents must make major decisions relating to the children together and one parent cannot make the decision on his or her own.

Get Started

Contact Attorney Daniel Dannenbaum Today

Call 703-661-9151 or use our contact form to arrange a free consultation with an experienced family law attorney.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy