Dannenbaum Law Firm, PLLC

Explaining the different types of child support cases

Not everyone in Virginia receiving child support payments gets their funds in the same way. Some recipients draw funds directly from a non-custodial parent, and others get payments from the state. This is because there are four different types of child support cases. Each type involves different payment arrangements and circumstances. Having a better understanding of what options are available can help parents or legal guardians in need of child support have a better idea of how assistance may be provided.

If child support is established and maintained privately following a divorce, it's referred to as a non-IV-D case. With IV-D cases, the custodial parent receives assistance from the Office of Child Support Enforcement. This may involve determining paternity, finding the parent who does not have custody or enforcing an existing order. A non-IV-D case may become an IV-D case if unpaid or outstanding support payments need to be collected.

The state provides public assistance to the custodial parent with IV-A cases. These cases are typically referred to the Office of Child Support Enforcement to make an attempt to collect payments from the custodial parent. IV-E cases are also referred to the Office of Child Support Enforcement to secure payments; however, these cases are unique in that the child is being cared for by someone other than a biological or custodial parent. Such guardians might include relatives or foster parents.

Unfortunately, a parent making payments may lose their job. When circumstances like this occur, a family law attorney can take steps to make appropriate changes with payment arrangements. If a non-custodial parent stops paying altogether, a lawyer may compel them to pay by reaching out to the case manager, attempting direct contact with the paying spouse or seeking a resolution in court.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Get Started

Contact Attorney Daniel Dannenbaum Today

Call 703-661-9151 or use our contact form to arrange a free consultation with an experienced family law attorney.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy