Call Today 703-661-9151
Dannenbaum Law Firm, PLLC
Personalized divorce strategies focused on achieving your goals

Child support modification

Many judges in Virginia award child support to custodial parents when approving a divorce decree. If the non-custodial parent experiences a change in income, he or she may be eligible to request a modification of the original decree. However, the change will not occur automatically. The parent requesting a modification must file a petition with the court that granted the original decree.

Either parent may seek a modification of a previous order when there has been a material change in circumstances. Such a modification may be temporary or permanent, depending on the facts of the case. Examples of circumstances that might warrant a change in previous child support orders include a significant change in the child's needs, remarriage of one or both parents, a change in child support laws or job loss.

It is important for anyone who needs to request a modification of child support to understand that the change will not apply retroactively. For example, if a parent loses his or her job or becomes disabled but does not file for a modification for six months, the amount will not change until a judge signs the order granting a modification. The amount will also not change just because there is a verbal agreement with the custodial parent to accept a lower amount.

A parent who is in need of a child support modification may find that the assistance of a family law attorney is helpful. A family law attorney may be able to assist a parent requesting a child support modification request other changes based on altered circumstances, such as changes in the visitation schedule or a modification of custody. Before meeting with an attorney, it is important to gather up any documentation that may be considered relevant, such as tax returns and recent pay stubs.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Me Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy